I felt totally discombobulated this week. Monday I started out with a still life I had organized last week and I just wasn’t feeling it. So I wiped out that canvas, put it aside, and worked at a new still life. By the time I got it arranged and sketched out, it was the end of the day. Then Tuesday, I wasn’t feeling the new still life either. So I let it sit and started on a side project. I photographed and uploaded all the paintings and drawings I’ve made since I started art school. It took me all day and a little bit of Wednesday as well. Eventually I will have a massive post where I go back and analyze my progression over the last few years. But by the end of all that, I was ready to get down to some actual painting. However, I realized that my still life still needed some tweaking. I went about tweaking it and then I painted. It still wasn’t right. I tweaked the still life some more. I moved things around on my canvas. I omitted objects and backgrounds. I organized and reorganized everything to get my composition the way I wanted. I’ll explain more photo by photo…
Before I start, I’d like to apologize for the quality of the progress shots. I arranged my lighting just the way I wanted without realizing it was sort of backlighting the entire thing and that the lamp was now going to be shining into my eyeballs while I painted. This also caused my photos to be washed out from glare. Fortunately, I took the time to take a proper final shot. Though it is a little darker than the actual painting, it doesn’t have glare. Which is nice. Anyway, on to the painting!
This was the original drawing and underpainting I did. You can see that it is unbalanced on the right side. I tried standing the bottle upright to remedy that, but it didn’t look right. So I left it for a day to think about it.
My solution for balance was to add another cardboard box. I didn’t have a small tan one though. I had to use a white one, which changed a whole lot of my painting. It cast reflected light all over the still life, brightening things immensely. I liked it. The concept of the painting was changed by its inclusion, but not in a negative way. After dropping in the white box, I moved the coke bottle forward to prevent the painting getting flat. The angle and slightly shortened perspective of the bottle gave everything a depth I needed.
My next problem was the Rubix cube on the left side. Its original angle threw off the flow of the painting and diverted the viewer’s eyes away and off the canvas. I swung it around to show a third face and keep its lines in rhythm with the rest of the piece.
On Thursday morning I realized the background was too complicated and distracting. I unified the left side and darkened the right. I still wanted a division between sides, but I found the solid tones to be much more pleasing to the eye.
The rest of the painting was a fight to keep myself from getting overly detailed. I went in and simplified the tallest box and removed its dangly flaps. I darkened the smaller boxes. I darkened the white box. And then I had to deal with the coke bottle.
When I paint glass, I focus on simplifying and take time to work segment by segment. I blocked out the largest color areas first and after went through with the green streaks. Then I added dark streaks. My final step was to swoop in with the highlights. I worked base to mouth to base to mouth until I had the bottle where I wanted. Or close to where I wanted. I still think it could do with some more simplifying. I suppose I neglected it too much while I focused on everything else.
For only two full days of work on a 16″x20″ canvas, the painting turned out pretty decent. I’ll probably go back for one final session and straighten out a few angles.
In other news, one of my paintings, which I’ve titled “Playhouse,” was accepted into the New Hampshire Art Association’s 28th Omer T. Lassonde Open Juried Exhibition. The show runs from April 2nd to 25th. You can find more information on the New Hampshire Art Association’s website.
To close, here are a couple facebook sketches: